Listen up, Percy Jackson fans. You’re going to want to put Rebecca Roanhorse’s Race to the Sun on your wish list. It’s an action-packed quest adventure that draws on the Navajo legend of the Hero Twins.
Seventh grader Nizhoni Begay dreams of being a middle school superstar. But her one special talent is that she can recognize monsters. Unfortunately, no one believes her when she tells them that her dad’s new boss is up to no good.
Then, her dad is kidnapped, and only Nizhoni, her younger brother, and her best friend Davery can rescue him. They’ll have to pass a series of trials to reach the House of the Sun and obtain the weapons they’ll need to defeat the monsters.
Some of my favorite things about this book were:
- Mr. Yazzie, the wise horned toad, who mentors Nizhoni.
- The prophetic poem that Nizhoni receives from the mysterious snack lady in the train station.
- The Navajo mythological figures that appear in the story.
- The fact that Nizhoni, her brother, and Davery have complementary skills.
- The satisfying final battle.
Thank you to Disney-Hyperion and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read an advance copy of this book. Its expected publication date is January 14, 2020.